On Thursday, January 24th, 2008 we made it to Seattle, Washington.  The trip was not without it’s ups and downs, but all in all I would have to say it went extremely well.

The first day of the trip between Omaha, NE and Sioux City, IA was the worst that it got with the roads being snowy and worse yet, icy.  About 40 miles outside of Sioux City my wife warned us of icy conditions on the road, and so we slowed down to about 45 mph.  That didn’t prove to be enough as we hit a bridge and started fish-tailing.  A few corrections later I thought I had it straightened out, but then the trailed came back around and yanked us sideways into the ditch.

We were extremely fortunate with this incident as the trailer stayed attached, and we slide almost straight into the ditch almost like if we drove straight in.  There was no damage to the truck, or the UHaul trailer.  After getting pulled out via a tow truck we made it to Sioux City and stopped at a local truck stop and discussed weather or not to continue given the conditions. It just so happened there was a couple there that were coming towards Sioux City from Sioux Falls, which was the way we were headed.  They let us know that about 10 miles north of Sioux City the roads were fine and if we could make it there we would be ok.  So we gave it a shot, and they were absolutely right.

Roads were pretty good again until we were about 40 miles from Billings, MT.  At this point we ran into a patch of blowing snow that was so bad at some points that we couldn’t see the lines of the road.  At some points my dad was simply looking for the center line and I was looking for the right side road line.  Again with this storm there seemed to be a clear cutoff line, and all the sudden it was completely clear.

Aside from these weather incidents I would say we were blessed with great weather all the way to Seattle.  Over the past few days we have been recouping from the trip which takes a lot out of you.  I guess I didn’t realize how much this sort of thing takes out of you.  Last night we went to bed at about 8:00 PM, and didn’t wake up until about 8:00 AM.  Stress from the move, bad road conditions and everything else that moving entails wears on you pretty quickly.

But, we are here, I start work soon, and things should return to somewhat normal as we familiarize ourselves with the city and people.  So far though we love it!